Sean Kelly at SportActive
Every year, Cycling Legend and SportActive patron Sean Kelly, climbs back on the saddle and cycles with us in Mallorca. Sean is with us for the whole of April and two weeks in October. The legend has been with us for sometime now, and with Martin our head cycling coach, developed our cycling programmes which help you to ride further and faster.
So what else does the legend pass on when you are with us in Mallorca?
Lifetime Experience of Cycling
There can be no question that riding with Sean Kelly will improve your cycling. Sean is one of the best cyclists ever to have lived, and for five consecutive years he was the best rider in the world. A little tip here, a little tip there will see your riding improve. Sean rides with all the groups in SportActive, so regardless of your level you will ride with the legend.
A Glimpse into the World of Professional Cycling
During the evenings, Sean can be found dining with the SportActive family. He often recounts tales from the Tour de France and other classic tournaments. How amazing it is to hear stories from a legend about his legendary exploits can’t be overstated. It often fills people with awe. David Conachy of the Irish Independent described it as incredible. You can read David’s account of cycling with SportActive and Sean Kelly here.
A few facts about Sean Kelly:
- Sean was born in Carrick-on-Suir, Republic of Ireland
- He has achieved 193 professional cycling victories
- World’s number one cyclist for five consecutive years
- One of the greatest classic riders of all time
- One of the most successful riders of the 1980s
- In 1984 he achieved 33 professional victories
- While descending Col de Joux Plane to Morzine on stage 19 of the Tour in 1984, Sean clocked 124 km per hour.
- He is one of the best cyclists ever to have lived
When Sean left professional cycling he established Ireland’s first professional cycling team in 2006. He based it at his newly founded Sean Kelly Cycling Academy based in Metchtem, Belgium. He regularly rides charity events throughout Europe, and rode across America in 2000.